Friday, December 28

Understand one thing



God never said that women ought to be obedient to men.
He said that wives need to be obedient to their husbands.
One is not obedient to their husband because he is a man.
But because he is their husband.

It is a division of labor that is necessary for the accomplishment of a difficult and vital task.
It is as if you decide to take a long journey together, and to help one another cross a vast dessert.
Will you do your part? Yes.
Will you do your part? Yes.
Agreed.
Then let us embark.

There is a mutual dependence, and respect.
It is not that man is placed on the whole above woman.
It is rather than man is made as only a part,
of a whole
a whole that includes the wife.

They are not an andras and a gyneka –
But both together and inseparably are the androgyno.

How can you Man be better, or more important, or more valuable than your wife in the marriage,
when in a marriage you do not exist apart from her?

So when you look at a woman – every woman – know:
That you are looking at a person, like any person, and give her the due respect.

And when you look at your wife know:
That she – another person – and you, have agreed to work together
and have agreed to take on this task;
that each will do their part;
and that only with all the parts do you have a whole.
Without her you are not a boat – you are just some logs.
And give her the respect that is due.

But again, let me say it once more:
-       not every woman owes you obedience
-       and your wife is fulfilling a function and serving a role. Not for you ‘because you are king’. But for you and the entire family, and for God. Because you have a long way to go; because this is significant; because you are in the middle of a dessert, and however you do this, you need it to work.

She is carrying the same burden – sharing it with you. So work together as one, 
and show her the love that is due.

You are working together
You are in the army of God, on a mission together.
Co-operate, and be one another’s joy.
Rely on each other,
Trust one another,
And be one another’s shelter.

You are on enemy land;
You have one Commander;
You share a mission;
Co-operate
You have one another.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Thalia
    I think this is a very beautiful poem and I agree at the idea that a married couple have to operate as one. Curiously enough during the festive period I was reading some of The Symposium out loud and I wanted to get to the Aristophanes speech where (if I remember) he speaks of how people used to literally be cojoined twins who are now looking for their partner again. Sadly I was sniggering like a schoolboy during another speech when another feaster keeps talking about ‘young men’ so I think everyone wanted me to be quiet by that time.

    Anyway, whilst it is quite an ugly mental image, on a metaphorical level I find Aristophanes idea very beautiful and often expresses how I feel. I also read once that people like myself who can write with their left hand might have been twins originally except that the cells of one engulfed the other. Again, to a lot of people that might sound an ugly thought like something from a horror film but to me it is quite beautiful in a strange way, though it simultaneously makes me feel both lonely and as if I am in the company of someone else.

    Perhaps it will be the case that I’ll have to go through this life alone and always feel temptations to sin (though I suppose many married people also do) and never feel reunited with another human in that way but then it is always a struggle that is worth persevering with and being ready for the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you didn't conclude that from your ambidexterity :)

      I know which speech you mean by Aristophanes, it has also stayed in my mind from years ago. A similar idea exists still in the Christian tradition. I have heard it said that God did not create the male on his own in His image but that 'male and female created he them' in His image.

      That is why, I think, in the Orthodox tradition some fathers say that one's spiritual life begins with marriage. because together, as one, the couple becomes like onto God.

      I don't know about these things however. That is what I heard.

      I appreciate your kind concern but your audience did not mind your laughing :) You brought your happiness into our reading of Plato

      Delete