Monday, September 3

a question i want answered

what are the ethics of making an art piece out of your life - of creating a photograph or capturing a picture with words?

on the one hand, you are sharing your love for the aesthetic. it is a voice. you are speaking and sharing an experience.
you open a moment of the world, to others.

on the other hand, you open up a moment of privacy to the public. you interfere with your personal relationship to the world and to reality. you expose what you shared. you interrupt your direct communion with the other, and you make it 'all about the what you will show later'. you destroy the personal, the private, and generally that calmness that allows for beauty to be.

if i meet a cow in the street. and it looks at me and i look at it, and we see one another. it is me and it. anything can be said. but what if i always say, 'oh cool what an object', and i photograph it because i want to take this moment and bring it into my other arena of being, the facebook one, the one where i draw out an identity.
don't i then kill the essence of my relationship to that cow?
don't i make our meeting about 'that other facebook world i have in my mind'
don't i sacrifice this new immediate spontaneous relationship i have with the cow to the 'facebook kingdom'?
don't i silence that cow?
isnt it right that that cow no longer stops to engage with me but turns away in disdain, disappointment, hurt, dislike?
wasn't it i that denigrated our relationship? our moment? our opportunity and possibility?

ok at least the cow can tell. it can turn its back from me. my rich and beautiful world will be ruined and made plain for the sake of this 'facebook common space that i hold dear to my heart despite despite'. perhaps it will. I hurt my self, i insult the cow, i hurt also the cow by leaving it with one less person to speak to.

but do i dare to do this to a child? to another person? How can i make myself so poor? how can i render myself so useless to others? what is worth this? what filth and what addiction makes me think nothing of it? of this slaughter? of this denouncing of beauty?

So what do you think? Am I wrong in the way that I see this? in the way that I feel it?
Should I just go on, until I become numb, until I feel it no more, until I forget?

so let me hear your answer.

No comments:

Post a Comment