Tuesday, June 28

waiting, a little chat

 Mary said

sitting on a chair
waiting, waiting.
looking at the walls,
waiting, waiting.

Why must you always let men go at their own pace?

You can receive and respond and play
but sit and wait
It is not so much a dialogue
Men must go at their own pace.

Outside, running, jumping, reading, swimming, doing
and waiting, waiting
You can prepare and be ready to give if he comes
But you must be waiting.

Why is it that I can change pace and walk alongside another?
just because I know, and I can see, that it is their speed?
As a human we should not just react but act.
I can step back, and evaluate, and see and say,
‘this is fast for me but I’ll go a little faster since another person has a need.’

Why must I always wait for a man to go at his own pace?
Is it because women are trained in the tasks of love
and men just learn to take?
Do I sit, do I sit, do I wait?

And Mary answers

I understand your frustration, oh friend, I do.
But it is not like that.
Sometimes men wait
The person who is gong faster is the one who has to wait
The person who is slow cannot go faster, but the person who is faster could slow down. It is kindness.
Like walking with a child whose legs are shorter.

And if you are worried that at this pace you never will get there, then you know that he cannot get there, and so either you forget about Ithaki or your paths must part.

And Mary says

I hear you sister but you are wrong.
Wrong wrong wrong
I would slow down to help a limping man,
I would stop to sit by a man on the side of the road resting.
But a communion is between two people, and together they have their own pace.
Together we can have our own pace, but I cannot wait for his.
If the equation does not include me, then I am the zero.


But Mary said
Our problem is unsolved indeed,
but if you are in a rush, why should the other person rush with you?


Mary, oh mary, you just don't understand! 
I don't want to rush him, I don't want to drag him to Ithaki over night. 
I want to express myself and say hello, to share my happiness, to let my joy show. I want to say 'hey, so and so', and not worry, that I've said to much. 
that i broke the ice that he was standing on
that all is now gone.
I want to show my joy.
Can't he handle that? 

No comments:

Post a Comment